Unused PREP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis)

My untouched pack of 30 PREP tablets

Last Wednesday, I got a call from Community Health Centre (or Population Council), Yaba. I'd first visited the facility in March of this year. I needed PEP (Post-exposure prophylaxis) because I'd allowed the person I was seeing at the time to cum up my ass two days before that and I wasn't sure of his status, even though he looked really healthy. Worse still, I just sort of broke up with this person over an argument. Luckily for me, before the 72-hour window elapsed, I got to chat with a new friend who encouraged me to go for PEP.

I remembered and called up a guy I'd met on Grindr earlier in the year who claimed to have access to PREP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis). I figured he might also have PEP which is what I needed at that time. Fortunately, he did. He gave me directions to the clinic and I was there the very next day.

"What a cutie", I thought when I met him at the entrance of the clinic that Tuesday morning (he works there). He was very polite and friendly with me, and I'm sure the thought of asking him out on a date crossed my mind before I left the clinic that day. After confirming that I really wanted PEP and that I understood what it was, he asked me why I hadn't come earlier.

I spent roughly three hours at the CHC that day before getting my 30-day dose of PEP. First, I sat opposite a staff of the clinic who verbally interviewed me while filling a form on my behalf. I think the most uncomfortable question in the interview was being asked who my sexual partners are: men, women or both. I managed to be honest about it.

Next, I was tested for HIV. After that, I saw a lady whom I'll approximate was a nurse, even though she wasn't in a uniform - I didn't see any of the CHC staff in uniform. She asked me what I wanted and when I said PEP, made me repeat my reason for seeking out PEP (I had unprotected sex). After that, she counselled me quite a bit about sexual health safety and asked if I also wanted PREP. I declined, despite being fully cognizant of my propensity to not insist on protection in the heat of the moment.

After leaving the nurse, I went through another brief counselling session with a doctor who asked if I was top or bottom in the sexual encounter that got me to this point. I hesitated, asking him if that information was really necessary for him to do his job. Personally, I considered it purely voyeuristic. With a bit of impatience and frustration in his manner, he told me that this wasn't a big deal and that I should spit it already. Oh well. Spit it I did.

For some reason, I just didn't feel comfortable having a stranger picture me taking a full load of cum up my asshole. I still don't. I grew up a prude, so a very present part of me still wants to uphold that image of innocence, with everyone but the person I'm having sex with.

After some more counselling, the doctor finally sent me off to the pharmacy for my PEP with plenty sachets of condom and lube. Meanwhile, the pharmacist guy also took the freedom to ask me if I was top or bottom. I'm not sure now if I answered him. He handed me my can of 30 pills and sent me off with his own short counsel.

I took the first pill of PEP as soon as I got back to the office that Tuesday afternoon, around 3 pm. And not even 20 minutes later, the drowsiness side-effect the people at CHC had told me about manifested. I had been advised to take the pill only in the night, just before going to bed but I wanted the PEP to start working ASAP.

That day, I had to excuse myself from the main office floor to some part of the office where I could take a siesta. The pill literally swept me off of my feet. I managed to shift the timing for taking the pill closer to my bedtime for the remaining 29 days, even though it still prevented me from having any sort of nightlife. Also, one annoying thing about the drowsiness was that it necessarily didn't help me fall asleep quickly if I was not already tired from the day's activities.

A few days after taking my last PEP, I returned to CHC for my follow-up visit. This time, the cute guy from Grindr who was my link to the facility was the one who interviewed me. The interview went really well. He was creative in the way he asked his questions and many of my answers were witty as well. We shared a lot of hearty laughs in the twenty minutes I spent opposite him that morning. I felt very comfortable with him and didn't feel the need to hide any details. When I was leaving him, it felt like I'd just finished chatting with a childhood friend and I wished we could continue. In hindsight, I should have taken the chance to ask him on a date (I still have his number though, maybe it's not too late).

Another HIV test was done which fortunately, also came out negative. Before leaving this time, I agreed to take PREP, even though at the back of my mind, I knew I didn't really want to be the person who has to take a drug every day perpetually, just because they lack discipline.

The call from CHC last Wednesday was to follow up with me since I was meant to have finished the PREP pills which I'd collected way back in April and probably, be back for more. Without mincing words, I told the lady with a bit of guilt, that the can of pills was still intact. I hadn't even as much as opened it to look at the pills for once. She asked why. I told her I decide to tow the route of self-discipline because I think it's a better way. Surprisingly, she said that was okay and then, ended the call.

You know, I've actually not had unprotected sex since I finished my PEP. Of which I think it's mostly because I deleted Grindr not long after getting the PEP. Hence, I've only been in a few sexual situations since April and the couple of times when that led to sex, my partner did not need me to cajole him into using a condom. Although, I feel like I would have allowed him go without a condom again if he'd insisted. I hope life doesn't decide to teach me my lesson the hard way; no pun intended.

Comments

  1. Wow,I just restumbled on this blog again after several months of initially stumbling on it...Thanks for sharing this! I didn't even know PEP was really a thing until now (always knew about PREP though).As a non fan of pills myself,I could totally relate with your non usage of the PREP pills (I hate them so much,lol.) Hey,ask that cutie out on a date already.I'll be anticipating a post on how this turns out ☺
    PS:You write really well (went through all your posts already),never stop writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey. Thanks for reading. Here's a space to tell me absolutely whatever you want to, especially if it's connected to your reading this article. Writing is hard and knowing that someone out there connects with what I write goes a long way to encourage future writing.

Popular posts from this blog

I paid for gay sex in Lagos last Sunday - First time

How to find other gay men in Nigeria

Hot torso; goodbye NoFap; almost